Licensing Of Builders
Part VA of the Building Control (Amendment) Act 2007 on Licensing of Builders came into effect on 16 December 2008. Builders are given a period of six months from 16 December 2008 to apply for a licence so as to facilitate a smoother and gradual application process.
Please note that all builders in Singapore carrying out building works under the Building Control Act will have to apply for their builders licence latest by 16 June 2009.
For application of licence, please follow this link.
The Licensing of Builders Scheme is part of BCA’s long-term plan to upgrade the safety and quality standards of the construction sector. The aim of licensing of builders is to raise professionalism among builders by requiring them to meet minimum standards of management, safety record and financial solvency.
All builders carrying out building works where plans are required to be approved by the Commissioner of Building Control and builders who work in specialist areas which have a high impact on public safety will require a Builder’s Licence from 16 June 2009 . The requirement applies to both public and private construction projects.
Type of Licence
There are two types of licences:
- General Builder licence
For builders undertaking general building works, with 2 classes:
(a) Class 1 General Builder Licence
- Allowed to undertake project of any value
(b) Class 2 General Builder Licence
- Restricted to undertake projects of $6 million or less
- Specialist Builder licence
For builders undertaking any of the 6 types of specialist building works listed below. Builders can register in more than one category if qualified.
(a) Piling works
(b) Ground support and stabilization works
(c) Site investigation work
(d) Structural steelwork
(e) Pre-cast concrete work
(f) In-situ post-tensioning work
The following requirements must be fulfilled for grant of Builder’s Licence.
(a) Appointment of Approved Person (AP)
The AP appointed will take charge and direct the management of the business in building works.
- For a sole-proprietorship, AP should be the sole-proprietor
- For a partnership, AP should be one of the partners
- For a corporation, AP should be a director, or a member of the board of management, or an employee (being a person with similar duties and responsibilities of a director or member of its board of management)
For qualification and experience required for an AP, please go to this link.
(b) Appointment of Technical Controller (TC)
The TC appointed will oversee the execution and performance of any building works undertaken by the Builder.For Specialist Builders, any TC appointed is required to possess a civil or structural engineering degree from a recognised institution.
For qualification and experience required for a TC, please go to this link.
The list of recognised institutions can be obtained from the below links:
Professional Engineers Board (PEB) https://www.peb.gov.sg/Downloads/PE%20(Approved%20Qualifications)%20Notification%202009.pdf
(c) Minimum paid-up capital (for corporations only)
- For Class 1 General Builder: Not less than $300,000
- For Class 2 General Builder or Specialist Builder: Not less than $25,000
(d) Payment of licensing fees (validity of licence is up to 3 years)
- Class 1 General Builder: $1800
- Class 2 General Builder: $1200
- Specialist Builder: $1500
- Simplified Guide
(a brief introduction to the relevant Act and Regulations)
- Other BLS forms:
- Declaration of Personnel Appointment and
(for licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to appoint new or additional personnel)
- Section D_Project List
(for specialist builders to provide a list of projects undertaken by the Technical Controller)
- Notification of Termination of Approved Person/ Technical
(for builders who wish to update termination of Approved Person/Technical Controller)
- Change of Company's Particulars
(for licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to update their address and contact details)
- Update of Foreign Employee's Work Pass (Employment Pass/
(for licensed builders and registered contractors who wish to update their personnel's renewed Pass)
For new application and licensed builders who wish to apply additional licence(s) or vary a licence class, please login to www.bca.gov.sg/eBACS/ .
You may wish to visit the following links for more information regarding Licensing of Builders.
- Building Control Act
- Building Control (Licensing of Builders) Regulations 2008
- Building Control (Value of Significant General Building Work Projects) Order 2008
- Building Control (Estimated Final Price for Class 2 General Builder's Licence) Order 2008
- Building Control (Licensing of Builders) (Amendment) Regulations 2009
- Building and Construction Authority (Registration of Construction Personnel) Regulations 2008
- Conditions of Builder's Licence
All Class 1 General Builders undertaking a project of value which is $20 million or more will need to deploy a prescribed minimum number of construction personnel who are registered under the Construction Registration of Tradesmen Scheme (CoreTrade). The objective of CoreTrade is to build up a core group of local and experienced foreign workers in key construction trades to anchor and lead the workforce. CoreTrade requirements on deployment of registered tradesmen and foremen will begin on 16 June 2009.
For more information on CoreTrade, please visit this link.