What to do when a tremor occurs
Singapore is situated outside an earthquake zone. But large earthquakes near Sumatra of Indonesia may cause vibrations or tremors to buildings in Singapore. Buildings in Singapore are designed with in-built strength, which makes them safe and resilient against tremors caused by distant earthquakes.
When a tremor occurs, Stay Calm.
These are precautions you can take when a tremor occurs:
If you are indoors:
- Take cover under a table;
- If you are injured, call SCDF or the police;
- Do not use naked flame; and
- Do not use the lift.
If you are outdoors:
- Remain in the open until the tremor stops; and
- Stay away from buildings and overhead electrical cables.
Building & Construction Authority
6334 2408 / 6334 2580
HDB Essential Maintenance Services
1800 275 5555 / 1800 241 7711
For more details, you may download the Tremor Poster
- Tremor Poster (2,116kb.pdf)