Prefabricated Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP)
What are Prefabricated Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems?
Prefabricated MEP systems are MEP components and equipment that are integrated into a sub-assembly off-site and then installed on site. By moving activities off-site, we can achieve greater productivity both off-site and on site, higher quality, better safety performance and shorter construction duration. Please refer to an illustration of a prefabricated MEP module below.
Figure 1 - Photo Courtesy of Gammon Pte. Ltd
Benefits of using prefabricated MEP systems
- Increased construction productivity
- Improved workplace safety
- Improved environmental performance
- Higher quality control and quality assurance
Prefabricated MEP Good Industry Practices Guidebook
In April 2018, BCA released a Prefab MEP GIP guidebook to help developers, contractors, and consultants in their bid to incorporate prefab MEP systems in their development. The latest copy of the GIP guidebook can be downloaded here.
Prefabricated MEP Manufacturer Accreditation Scheme (MAS) *NEW*
The Prefabricated Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) Manufacturer Accreditation Scheme (MAS) was launched on 29 November 2018 at the BuildSG Leadership Forum organised by BCAA. It is jointly developed by BCA and the Specialists Trade Alliance of Singapore (STAS). STAS is the appointed administrator for the scheme and will award the Prefab MEP MAS Certificate of Accreditation.
The accreditation assessment emphasises on the capabilities, processes, and specific quality criteria required for the production of prefab MEP modules. The scheme helps to ensure quality assurance and control in the design, production, and installation of prefab MEP modules. It also helps to validate the processes used by the prefab MEP manufacturers to produce high quality prefab MEP systems and maintains good quality standards.
The accreditation is based on the following criteria:
- Quality Management System
- Plant and Design Capabilities
- Human Resource
- Quality Control in Production
- Storage, Protection, Delivery and Maintenance
Benefits of Accreditation
Accredited prefab MEP manufacturers can expect the following results in their quality management system and production processes:
- Effective implementation of quality plan
- Efficient utilisation of materials and resources
- High quality control and quality assurance
- Timely inspections and tests
- Improved management of human resources
- Regulated control of non-conforming products
- Realistic corrective and preventive actions
The application form and assessment criteria can be found at STAS website in 2019.