High Rise

Build It Right

This guide provides you with information on the types of work (termed as Insignificant Building Works) that do not require approval of plans from BCA. Understanding the guidelines may save you costly rectifications in the future.

However, it is the owners' responsibility to check if clearances from other relevant authorities (e.g. the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA)) are required. In addition, owners should be mindful of having to comply with other laws (e.g. caveats, MCST by-laws).

In addition to understanding these guidelines, it would be advisable for owners to engage a registered architect (RA) specialising in architectural services and/or professional engineer (PE) specialising in the field of civil and structural works, to advise on whether the building works require clearances from BCA and other relevant authorities.

Carrying out building works without an approval from BCA is an offence under Section 20 of the Building Control Act. Such an offence may incur a fine up to $200,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or both. This does not apply to works termed as 'Insignificant Building Works'.

“Building works” means –

  1. the erection, extension or demolition of a building;
  2. the alteration, addition or repair of a building;
  3. the provision, extension or alteration of any air-conditioning service or ventilating system in or in connection with a building, and includes site formation works connected with or carried out for the purpose of paragraph (a), (b) or (c).