Singapore Government
Government Citizens & Residents Businesses Non-Residents
Housing Logo
Home SeekersHome OwnersDeveloper
General Image 1
  Getting Started
  Engaging A Renovation Contractor
  Checking Renovation Guideline For
  HDB Flats
  Private Houses
  Pointers For Homeowners
  Resolving Disputes
  Other Related Sites
  Renovating Your Home
  Application For Approval Of Building Plans Under The Normal Submission System For
A) Additions And Alterations To Landed Dwelling Houses
B) Additions And Alterations To Residential Units Of Strata-Subdivided Buildings
C) Reconstruction Of Landed Dwelling Houses
Submission Of Building Plans
Application Form
Other Accompanying Documents
Plan Fee For Building Plan Submission
Approval Of Building Plans
Commencement Of Works
Completion Of Works

  Landed dwelling houses encompass detached, semi-detached, terrace and linked dwelling houses. Apart from landed houses, other types of residential buildings include apartment buildings, condominiums, strata-bungalows and cluster housing. Carrying out renovation works in residential buildings may require submission of building plans to the Commissioner of Building Control, Building and Construction Authority (BCA) for approval. It all depends on what sort of works are to be carried out. Some building works are exempt from the need to obtain a permit or an approval of plans from the BCA. A list of the exempted works is provided in 'The Schedule' of the Building Control Act.
Submission Of Building Plans
  The application shall be submitted by a Qualified Person (QP) - a registered architect or a registered professional civil or structural engineer (PE). In addition, the plans have to carry a certification by the PE that he has inspected the building and investigated its overall structure and that the building is capable of resisting additional load and moment of the proposed building works.
Application Form
  Form BPD_BP03: Application for approval of building plans (with appendix on plan fee computation)
Other Accompanying Documents
a) Written Permission (Planning Permission) issued by the Competent Authority - Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) with a copy of the original site plan approved by the Chief Planner, or a copy of lodgment receipt issued by URA, or a copy of the approved electronic submission;
b) Waiver application forms (if any);
c) A set of building plans with the additions and alterations duly highlighted or coloured; The new roof extension shall also be highlighted or coloured on the site plan;
d) An extra copy of the site plan;
e) Building plans (BP) clearances from the relevant technical agencies, which could be any of the following:
- Central Building Plan Unit (CBPU) of the Ministry of the Environment;
- Fire Safety & Shelter Bureau (FSSB): this is required if the proposed works involve timber staircase or timber floor exceeding 25m2 in area, or the existing building or the proposed works exceeds 3 levels including basement and attic floor;
- Land Transport Authority, Road & Transport Section (LTA/RT): this is required if the proposed works fall outside the lot boundary or within the road reserve;
- National Parks Board (NParks): this is required if the proposed works fall outside the lot boundary line.
Plan Fee For Building Plan Submission
- $200 for every 100m2 of new area or extended area or part thereof.
- $100 for alteration or amendment to each approved storey.
- $100 per submission for ancillary works not related to the above.
Approval Of Building Plans
  The application would be processed and approved within 14 working days. A Notice of Approval will be issued. The set of approved plans will be microfilmed and returned tot the QP.
Commencement Of Works
  Works can only commence after the structural plans submitted by the PE have been approved and a permit to carry out building works has been applied for and granted. If there are no structural works involved, then the permit to carry out building works will be granted based on the approval of the building plans. The submission of structural plans and building plans is independent of each other.
Completion Of Works
  All proposed addition and alteration works should be completed within 12 months from the date of building plan or structural plan approval, whichever is later. Quarterly progress reports are to be submitted to BCA. The QP shall also apply to BCA for the Certificate of Statutory Completion (CSC) within 15 months, or within 6 months in the case of retention works, after the approval of the building plan. Retention works refers to works that had already been built before the submission of building plans to regularise it. In such a case, penalty fees are leviable.

Reconstruction works, on the other hand, refers to new works that takes up an additional 50% of the existing gross floor area of the building. For this, a Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP) would be needed for the occupation of the completed building works if a CSC could not be obtained in time. A CSC would have to be obtained 12 months from the date of TOP.
  Last updated on 22 March 2006
Best viewed using IE 5.0+ or Netscape 6.0+ with 800 x 600 resolution.
eCitizen Home